Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bike Camping in Alexandria

From Camping in Alexandria

Since I had the week off of school before graduation, myself and 5 of my buddies decided to head to Alexandria to do some camping biking in the Kisatchie national forest.  One of the guys had just bought a BOB trailer so he was itching to try it out.  The plan was two head out from Evangeline camp ride the bikes for a mile or so to a nice campsite by the creek and get up the next morning for a ride.

We setup camp and the weather called for some light rain that night.  Two of the guys didnt have any sort of rain protection so they built a lean to out of some downed trees and branches.  After starting a fire and sitting around we all got pretty bored so we decided to get on our bikes and go buy a couple of cases of beer to pass the time.  Unbelievably I could fit a whole case in my Osprey talon pack.  

I ended up not taking my sleeping bag on this trip as the low was going to be in the 70's but that night I found out that I should of brought something such as a blanket.  In the morning we all woke up to bike over to Lake Valentine for a swim as the day was quickly heating up.  We made it over there and the water/campground was closed which was a bummer as we were all hoping to fill up once we got there.  The swimming wasn't too good there so we decided to head over to the west boat ramp of Lake Kincaid.  We all jumped in a cooled off and a few of the guys were spent so I headed back to the truck and picked them up and drove back to the trailhead.

We were all pretty tired at this point so we all just lounged around and cooked dinner.  The next morning we went down to the east boat ramp of Lake Kincaid and setup our ramp at the end of the dock.  We all took turns launching off the ramp into the lake on a dumpster diver bike that one of the guys had gotten just for this purpose.

From Camping in Alexandria
From Camping in Alexandria

No comments: