Monday, March 2, 2009

Briar Badlands Battle

This weekend I competed in the Briar Badlands Battle near Gulfport, MS on the Bethel trails, where I raced the Cat 2 19-29 category which consisted of about 15-20 riders.  The start line had us going down a half mile of forest roads before we ducked into the start of the trails.  The speed down the gravel road topped out at 22 mph but came to a grinding halt at the entrance of the trail where it bottlenecked.  At this point I was in the back half of the pack but no one had separated themselves from the group so there was nothing to worry about. 

The group stayed together for about half of the first lap until we hit the river section where one of the guys near the front dabbed allowing me and a few other guys to get around and separate ourselves from the group.  At this point in the race I was sitting in third place with nobody near the two of us.  The leader was in sight but soon after the clay climb another rider bridged up to the two of us.  He attacked soon after so I decided to follow his wheel leaving the other guy behind.  I stayed on his wheel for the rest of the first lap while we kept the guy in first place in our sights.

Near the end of the first lap in the "badlands" section the guy went down in front of me on a sandy turn but fell across the trail blocking me from passing.  I stopped allowing him to get back up and we started hammering, chasing down the first place rider due to the time lost.  I followed his wheel for the rest of the first lap and most of the second lap trying to draft off of him as the wind was really bad in this section.  The rider that we had originally left now bridged up to us and attacked us before the clay climb.  Neither of us had an answer as my legs were feeling tired at this point.  When we came up to the clay climb the guys wheel I had been following for the last lap attacked and again I had no answer.  I ended up placing fourth just missing the podium and out of the money and prizes.

No comments: