Monday, March 23, 2009

NOBC 2-Man TT

This race was up in the air from the beginning as I was suppose to do a bike camping trip along the Natchez Trace with a few buddies for the weekend.  Some stuff with school came up, so I had to bail on the trip which I was pretty bummed about but thats life.  Hopefully we can reschedule the trip for a later date as its something that I really want to do.  

Anyways when I had to bail on the Natchez trip one of my team members (Jonathan Falgout) had asked me to team up with him on a 2-man time trial in LaPlace, LA.  He's a CAT 4 so it wouldn't help me out point wise but we were about equal in terms of bike strength so we thought we would make a pretty strong team.  I borrowed a bike and helmet from his brother Adam Falgout and Jed Darby's wheels and did a time trial test with the team on the Tuesday before the race.  This was my first time ever on a TT bike so it took a while to get used to the position and handling characteristics.  My teammates switched though as the rules were a little hazy with me and Jonathan being able to race together since we were in different categories, so I got teamed up with Smitty Smith.  Smitty Smith is about 5'3" and 120 lbs so drafting was going to be a questionable.  He ended up being a great partner as he was much more experienced then I was so I learned quite a bit from him about time trialing. 

The day before the race I rode with the Pack & Paddle group and decided to do another 40 miles after with Brian and Jeb for a total of 80 miles which wasn't the best idea when I was racing the next day.  I had bigger races in mind though as I recently switched over from the 60 mile Ouachita Challenge to the 80 mile version so I needed some more miles in my legs.

The next morning I woke up a 4:15 ate a bowl of grapenuts and some english muffins with almond butter and met over at Precision bikes to carpool over to the race.  My legs were a little stiff from the previous day's ride but no enough to slow me down.  During the warmup I felt good with a slight tailwind on the way out I was easily able to hold 26 mph.  After the warmup when we were all sitting around we noticed the wind was shifting back & forth.  My goal for the 40K TT was to get under an hour.  I had Smitty pull first as I was worried about going out to hard especially after reading about negative splits.  After my first pull I knew I was going to be in trouble and the turn around couldnt come any sooner.  When I was drafting off of Smitty I was still basically at my threshold so I knew this was going to hurt.  Looking down at my GPS I knew that hitting my goal of under an hour was not going to happen.

We ended up finishing in an 1:03:37 (23.3 mph avg) in 5th place out of 10 teams.  Not too bad especially since a couple of our teammates won our division.  Brian an Jeb also won the CAT1/2 race with a time of 53:38, now thats fast.  I had a good time and hope to improve my time trial abilities for this race season.


No comments: