Friday, August 15, 2008

San Onofre



Today I decided to do an out and back up to San Onofre which I thought would be around 50 to 60 miles.  As the link from Swamis said 22 miles one way but my starting point would be a little further.  So I packed up some fresh banana bread and a couple of water bottles for the ride.  I was hoping the construction would be done that had stopped me the last few times.


As I approached the same place that stopped me last time I saw the same construction signs allowing no access.  I decided to find another way around and followed the detour signs which brought me out to the Oceanside Harbor Exit where I went and entered the base from.  The ride isn't very hilly but its like a total different world going through the base.  You have huge Hummers passing you by on the road and tanks parked off on the side.  They had some cool obstacle courses located throughout the base that I was tempted to go try but didn't.  


I made it all the way SONGS where I decided to turn around with almost 40 miles on my odometer at this point.  I stopped at San Onofre to eat my banana bread and saw I only had a half of a water bottle left.  This worried me as I wasnt carrying any cash to refill, but knew there was a McDonalds on base that I could stop at and refill my water.  I ended up with 75 miles which was good after all the eating we have been doing for these tastings.


No comments: