Thursday, July 31, 2008

Eklutna Lake - The Return


I decided to leave early enough today to make it to Eklutna Glacier from my parents house.  This would be an approximately 55 mile mountain bike ride.  So i packed up some lunch and headed out my usual way through the powerline trails to the Eklutna River which I crossed then start the long climb up Eklutna Lake Road.  

I wasnt feeling very spunky today as I havent been mountain biking as much the last few weeks due to all the studying I have been doing for my two summer classes.  So once I saw wind of a trail off the long climb I stopped for a breather and to check it out.  Luckily I did because just 20 yards off the road you got out to the edge of a cliff that opened up to a huge gorge that the river had cut out.



At about mile 12.4 of the trail around the lake it ends and you have to dismount as the trail is not passable with a bike.  This trail follows along the Eklutna River and the river is really flowing at this point which also causes the temp's to drop a little.  I was hoping this would lead me out to the glacier but to reach the glacier you would of had to been a mountain goat.  You would of also had to cross the river and at this point its probably a class III river that is as cold as ice.  So I decided to eat my lunch and head on back home.




No comments: