Sunday, July 20, 2008

Eklutna Lake


Even though I had written previously that I wouldn't be riding this weekend because of all the rain and my Organic Chemistry test on Monday, the weather turned out to be really nice on Saturday giving me the itch.  So today (Sunday) when the weather turned out to be good again I thought why not go ride as I was diligent in my study's all weekend.  I mentioned the idea about riding up to Eklutna Lake from our house to my dad and he said the road leading up to the lake was a 10 mile climb.  I thought since I haven't been on my bike as much as I would of liked and with the trail only being 12 miles and flat it would be a good way to put in some extra miles, 10 mile climb be damned.  



The ride started like the last few starting on the powerline trails that are behind my parents house but this time instead of crossing the Eklutna River I had to wade upstream a bit to get across the Glenn Highway where the road up to the Lake started.  While wading through the river though I got to see a few king salmon swimming which made braving the freezing waters that much more bearable. When I got to the road it was slow going as it climbed from 200 feet to 1400 feet in 3 miles and then leveling up for the last few miles.  After 10 miles on the road I finally reached the entrance to the Lake.



The trail following the lake was all doubletrack and relatively flat.  What it lacked in technical stuff it made up for in beauty.  If it had been anymore technical it would of been easy to wipe out while staring at the mountains and lake.  I was hoping to make it all the way to the Glacier but it was getting late and I had to be back for supper.  So I turned around at the 10.5 mile mark to head home.



On the way back the skys opened up and I put the hammer down trying to make it back around 7:30 for dinner.  Once I got cell phone service I called my parents to come pick me up at the end of the road so that I wouldnt have to wade through the freezing Eklutna River again.  I had miscalculated though and only made it have way down the downhill when I saw my dad in his vehicle.  I was glad to get in the car though as the effects of the rain and the long downhill had chilled me down to the bone.  Hopefully I will try this trip again and make it all the way to the glacier.


No comments: