Friday, July 11, 2008

A River Runs Through It



I had planned the night before to head out and try the Powerline Trail in Anchorage before our canoeing trip down the Little Susitna River on Saturday.  However my plans were quickly changed as the weather wasn't cooperating when I woke up this morning, so I decided to hit the books instead.  I was having problems concentrating though with my mind on mountain biking so as soon as the weather cleared up I got ready to head out.  Instead of driving the 30 miles into Anchorage though I decided to hit the trails up behind the house again.  Last time I had stopped at what I believe was Eklutna River and turned around but this time I decided to try and cross it.  So I packed up my pack with some extra socks along with some food and ensure as I was planning on a long ride.



I headed through the neighborhood down to the trail that follows the powerlines.  After crossing the railroad tracks I came up on the river and removed my shoes and socks preparing for the freezing water as its a glacier fed river.  Luckily it wasn't that deep only reaching my knees at the deepest point.  Upon reaching the other side I put my socks and shoes on and quickly got moving to restore my circulation in my feet and legs.  The trail on the other side was quite muddy, with a consistency close to clay.  Luckily it was extremely flat and traction was not needed for half mile where I quickly learned that the trail was coming to an end.  I turned back around to wade through the freezing river again.



I wasn't done riding for the day so I decided to try another spur on the trail.  I came upon 
Eklutna River again but decided to keep the shoes on for this crossing as I had lost traction earlier in the clay and wet my feet.  I rode this trail for about a mile after crossing to find that again a dead end would stop me.  At this point with my feet cryogenically frozen I decide to turn around and call it a day.  I ended up with almost 20 miles of riding yet was hoping for much more.  Hopefully the trails down on the Kenai peninsula dry out as the snow is to deep on the trails.



No comments: