Sunday, June 15, 2008

Elfin Forest / Fathers Day

It's Fathers day so I started out by helping my soon to be father-in-law by cleaning the pool.  It was tough going though as a bunch of the yellow spots just haven't been coming off.  So I got a little hand brush and went to work on the problem spots.  It helped out some but it was still very noticeable.  So Mr. Bill decided to head down to the local pool shop with a water sample.  The pool shop said it was a yellow algae in the pool and gave him some chemicals that will hopefully rid us of the algae.

After the few hours I spent doing that I got the mountain bike ready to go to Elfin Forest.  I knew that it had a tough climb and my body was feeling spent from yesterdays mountain bike ride and the pool scrubbing but I know I needed it.  It was slow going and every time I thought I cleared a technical section of the climb right around the switchback would be more rocks that would cause to dab or lose my balance.

                         

After following the way up trail to the top I split off onto the equine trail which had a nice little downhill run followed by more switchback infested climbing.  At this point I reached the top that had quite a nice lookout over North County where I stopped to take a break.

                      

I took the Mariposa trail next that connected on the the fireroad that runs along the top of the mountain here next to the reservoir.  I missed my turn and got lost searching around for my way down.  I knew that I had to take the way up trail back down, which wasn't that nice due to all the hikers out and around.  I only ended up with 7.5 miles but it felt like much more.

                    

No comments: