Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Kincaid Park / Tony Knowles Coastal Trail



Today as I previously had mentioned I headed over to Kincaid park to try my hand at some Alaskan singletrack. I arrived at the park about 9 AM and headed out with no map to speak of hoping to pick one up at a kiosk which didn't happen.  Luckily they had trail maps posted at most of the intersections since the trails were one-way. The park was built for nordic skiing but in the summer they are used by bikers and runners so there are no technical features to it.  The trails were still fun with no long climbs or descents but plenty of little power climbs and enough downhill to make it worthwhile. I didn't complete all the trails in the park as on my way through one of the loops I connected to the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail which runs all the way from the park to downtown Anchorage. 



The Coastal trail is a great paved trail that you guessed it follows along the coast. Off the trails I found many spurs that had little pieces of singletrack that was enjoyable. I rode all the way downtown to meet my Dad for lunch and then headed back down to Kincaid Park to ride some more of the trails that I skipped out on. By the time I got to Kincaid Park it was getting close to time for me to head out so I called my mom to pick me up so I could go pickup the dog.  All in all another good day racking up almost 40 miles and some great weather.


No comments: